Make your Home More Eco-friendly – Painlessly
Most of us don’t need convincing when it comes to the benefits of making decisions that are good for our environment – whether it be from helping wild life, making better choices about our consumption habits or making healthier decisions for our families. But let’s be honest old habits are tough to break so we’ve compiled a list of painless ways for you to make your home greener.
1) Swap out your cleaners: Making the switch to green cleaners reduces air pollution both indoors and out, minimizing exposure to both asthma and allergy triggers and harsh chemicals that can be harmful to your health. When seeking out a green alternative for cleaning supplies, look for plant-based products from companies that have a complete list of ingredients on their labels.
2) Upgrade your insulation: Adding insulation to prevent leaky ducts, walls, windows, and doors can improve your home’s energy draw by 20 to 30 percent. If a complete redo of insulation isn’t in your budget, try thermal shades and draperies, which block the sun in the summer and retain heat in the winter – it all adds up in the long run!
3) Leave your shoes at your door: Think of this as the equivalent of washing your hands when you get in the house at the end of the day. Keeping your shoes on tracks chemicals, pesticides and gunk like car exhaust throughout your home.
4) Reduce the use of Bug Sprays and Pesticides: Yes, bugs are a real pain but prevention is your best bet. Keep your kitchen crumb-free and seal any holes in the walls or cracks in the foundation means you won’t have to use harmful chemicals in your home. If you do require pest-control, reach for greener alternatives or home remedies first.
5) Go meat-less on Mondays: Choosing meat-free meals on Monday is a great step for our personal health and for the health of the planet. It can be as simple as swapping chicken nuggets with a bean and rice burrito, putting pork chops aside in favor of a spicy three-bean chili or trying a veggie burger instead of a hamburger.